In a recent official announcement, Microsoft is streamlining its technical certifications, aligning to industry-recognized areas of competence while providing flexibility to showcase your specific skills on Microsoft products and services. In total, five new Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) and Developer (MCSD) specialties have been released.
These new certificatons are aligned to Centers of Excellence, used by the Microsoft Partner Network to identify technical competencies that are widely recognizable by both Microsoft partners and customers.
The five new expert certifications are:
- MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure – focusing on skills validation for Windows Server and Microsoft Azure
- MCSE: Mobility – focusing on skills validation for Windows Client and Enterprise Mobility Suite
- MCSE: Data Management and Analysis – focusing on skills validation for both on-premises and cloud-based Microsoft data products and services
- MCSE: Productivity – focusing on skills validation for Office 365, SharePoint, Exchange, and Skype for Business
- MCSD: App Builder – focusing on skills validation for Web and Mobile app development
To earn each of these credentials, you must first earn a qualifying Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) certification and, then, pass a single additional exam from a list of electives associated with the corresponding Center of Excellence.
Details on the exams required to earn each of the new MCSE and MCSD certifications can be found on the corresponding web pages and will be subjects of a series of additional Born To Learn blog posts over the next few months. You will find that many currently available MCP exams will map to one or more new expert-level certifications.